Monday, March 18, 2013

Magical Moments: Turner Drugs

This year I decided to follow my wife’s footsteps and run the Disney Marathon.  I’ll touch on that more in a later post, but in the meantime you can read about her experience in an earlier post.  Nevertheless, I not only decided to run the marathon, but I decided to go from couch to Goofy in a few short months.  “Crazy!” you may exclaim.  “Correct!” I answer in return.  But, crazy as it may have been, I went from not running to the bathroom to attempting a half marathon on Saturday, followed by a full on Sunday. 

I must say that the total experience was phenomenal, and in fact I’ve already signed up for another half marathon this year – though not a Disney run unfortunately.  Huh?  I’m on a tangent?  Oh yes, let me get back to the purpose of this post…
 
As I crossed the finish line on Saturday, I felt amazing.  I started strong and decided to reserve most of my energy for the following day’s run.  My wife Alice (who decided to run the half marathon while several months pregnant – always a “one-upper”) and I made our way back to our room at Old Key West, where I enjoyed (loosely used term) an ice bath.  After a near bout with self-inflicted hypothermia, we decided to visit the Magic Kingdom.  After all, who really can be that close and NOT go to the parks?  So, we hopped aboard the Disney Transportation bus and made our way to the entrance gate.  This is where something went horribly wrong.
 
As I tried to stand, my knee locked up.  Locked up may not be correct – locked down is more accurate.  It would not move and I was suddenly in excruciating pain.  Turns out, I damaged it a few weeks before during a 12 mile run and the injury I suffered was due to ITBS (Iliotibial Band Syndrome).  A condition I had never heard of, much less knew I had to contend with.  Huh?  Oh yes, back to the point of the post. 
 
I was finally able to hobble into the park, but by this time tears started to swell in my eyes.  (I’m not too macho to admit pain hurts!)  Looking back, I’m not sure if the tears were from the pain or the thought that I still planned to attempt 26.2 miles the following morning.  But, then I remembered an earlier post I had written about Disney’s First Aid Stations.  And, that is where I headed straight away.
 
As with every other aspect of Disney, the customer service at the first aid stations is top rate.  This was evidenced that very day.  Although Disney had nothing that might help me, beyond Tylenol, they did have an answer – Turner Drugs.
 
As seen in the photo here, Turner Drugs is located near the parks.  More importantly, Turner delivers!  Yep – they deliver not only to the resorts, but to the parks themselves.  Apparently, Turner Drugs has been serving WDW for over 20 years, and doing so was a life saver for me that Saturday afternoon.  Within a few hours, Turner had delivered a knee brace to my resort, and once back from the park, I was able to pick it up at the concierge desk.  Thankfully, that knee brace held the pain back enough for Sunday’s marathon; and as a result, I had one of the greatest and most addictive experiences of my life. 
 
So, if you find yourself in the parks or at the resorts and suddenly develop a need for prescriptions, braces, formula, diapers, reading glasses, medical equipment, or other such items, Turner Drugs has the solution!  Just go to one of the Disney first aid stations or contact them directly.   You may contact Turner Drugs at (407) 828-8125; or visit their site at www.turnerdrug.com.  Just be aware that there is a small delivery fee, but it is worth it not to leave the parks or hassle with traffic in any way.  Perfect customer service.  Thank you Disney First Aid, and thank you Turner Drug!

No comments:

Post a Comment